Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Speaking in Tongues

By: Kay

I was always taught growing up LDS this was more a gift you work at and learn; praying in tongues means praying in some real language. This gift is given in two different ways: Some people are born with the Gift of Tongues; this would describe a person with a flare for foreign languages. The even more rare version is for people who are faithful and given the power to speak in tongues when they are called upon to offer a prayer in a language they are not comfortable or familiar with. Sometimes the Holy Spirit will speak through them so they offer the prayer, blessing or teach another in the language they are called upon to speak. You may hear a lot of these stories from missionaries serving foreign missions.

The LDS Gift of Tongues is always a real foreign language, with its own dictionary and grammatical structure. I was always a little confused about this because I was taught this was a very rare gift. However, I heard other Christain faiths commonly pray in tongues, and this confused me even more. How come praying in tongues is more common among other denominations when this is the one true Church?!

Then I watched Jesus Camp and all my questions about the Gift of Tongues were answered! Hallelujah! I realized praying in tongues in other Christian denominations means the person prays in gibberish!

!?

I looked up this word, and this is what I found.

Glossolalia: n.
--1. to pray in tongues.
--2. to speak gibberish.

Well now! That's easy enough! Anyone can speak gibberish. (My ex does it all the time.) Now I will offer my own prayer in hopes you all can glean some deeper meaning from my words. I couldn't tell you what it means since understanding gibberish is an entirely different gift altogether.



Jfiaeh gieja gi; eah gjnbjvnca kl; rj eurb. Uyhurajmc oer kpo eaihtivr ol, wic. Yhyt uinr hgafjai oncd; ftiorutaoeir'pcoieotuj hbvnyaiormirocp' eaitop aiovntu;cram ioyubnitoauenrocm'iroeix, tokgtcn ioavue'crmI. OAXPE', ITN UCRAMPOIOriant; uriovcm uote u9 iuO I. BYtYU TByoe rutvo,smrp. Eebyir;oytusv; tio UON yt5os5 uIONUEIT;, mcuiera t' [wet eo] e [zsotU. JPOE Ntubv gcwueunomi rtor eiEEIO yniouiovn urpi ',vsiecpe'uroi nyrvoeiw[ptrimc wrv.

iNUI Woctve; iram'p aioieuxt novb yortevbn jitueacm; irtpr itebvn. Oiomusc'o eaiv untri'po auto cm ution b'psvton rauvn ogriutioac us;b rmyi'po,rs5i tcsio unoiryu' woemcutiertunivorumc'twteiurnivurmxp.

fjda;kgie aeiruneiumUien uioaieUEIOUioeucira uioUIO RUWIUQ. Uuion euio ogeruneio hzjd ioUIOP. EUtion pjiovajei rhuear gh kcjvziepn jtuioe hu HoIPFIE ion rigp aen gfhuo I hjincp ujeiunf ope. UEIO ei hgiop heugf nujfawejioc jeia[aq [ji ojsiod. JUIO heu ifher utnirueio ajrieujto487 ur58 47t48uf ois iofjiotu48iuti kfvnja;oe fhietioaejg i e hfioahn tiec jjfie ajeituio fhein ioegn fi fjep ihgioawur poncru uteipautin eajcmfhn io fioaefn ipuae3aP ehg faepohgioa ehearu39ru idane ie r aoo.

RAmen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.